Soul City Arts is currently recruiting an Executive Director.
Soul City Arts is seeking a new Executive director. Before you dive into the detail, why not read our introductory pitch below? Does the role speak to you and do you have skills, experience and drive to bring to our organization?
If so, we’d encourage you to apply to – and we’d need to see your application by December 5th 2020. Full job specifications and details of how to apply are provided in this PDF.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Who are we?
Soul City Arts (SCA) was established in 2007. We were driven by a desire to deliver innovative and unique artistic productions, and to use the arts as a vehicle to engage with and empower diverse communities – whether at home in the UK, or internationally. Founded and led by critically acclaimed visual artist and producer Mohammed Ali, the organisation has been commissioned to deliver high-profile work for the likes of City of Melbourne, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the British Council. Through all of this, though, SCA has remained embedded in and close to its roots in Sparkbrook, in the heart of Birmingham, and we continue to serve local communities through the arts. We are a local arts organization with a global reach and resonance.
What do we Believe?
The organization’s name speaks volumes. We are an arts organization with roots in the urban experience, seeking to rejuvenate the soul of our communities. ‘Soul’ has, first and foremost, a spiritual dimension, and we are comfortable articulating our faith-based values. Ali, artistic director, draws inspiration, values and even aspects of his artistic style from his Muslim, Bangladeshi heritage, seeking to give a voice to that often overlooked and underrepresented community. Yet we are not exclusive. SCA’s directorial board, artistic collaborators and even our following, are of diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds and we are equally comfortable working with and on behalf of all minority communities, faiths – and those of no faith.
It remains our mission to give voice to the stories, struggles and, through the arts, to advocate for the needs of all those groups who make up our wider ‘community’. In this way we also seek to nourish the ‘soul’ of our city spaces, promoting sociability, neighbourliness, community pride and confidence, and social cohesion. SCA marks the point where faith and community connect through art.
- Do you have programme design and delivery experience within the arts?
- Can you work with us and with our artistic director in delivering innovative art that drives genuine, not tokenistic social change?
- Can you fundraise and manage budgets effectively?
- Can you engage with a wide range of different collaborators, from community representatives to local government, from educators to artists
- Are you passionate about diversity and representation?
- Can you help us achieve our vision – and add your own distinctiveness to it?
- Can you help SCA grow, whilst ensuring we do not lose our soul. If so, then please, dive in and read on.
Deadline for applications 5th December 2020